(urth) 5HC : Free People

Chris rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 5 11:43:29 PST 2005

I have to agree with Crush, and I'd also point out that even this much is
using a very loose (and possibly just wrong) definition of "posing an
argument for". In my mind this entails presenting an attempt at
justification. Yet while slavery occurs in these stories, the reasons it
happens rarely if ever qualify as an attempt at justifying it.

Io decides to be Latro's slave in order to avoid being someone else's slave.
Nowhere does she really have a realistic chance not to be a slave; her
choice is between masters.

There is no attempt to justify slavery in the Short Sun - it exists, but is
straightforwardly presented as an evil.

In Long Sun and New Sun there are perhaps speculations on who is or is not a
slave. This, too, doesn't amount to an attempt to justify slavery.

In the Soldier books I am willing to grant Wolfe may be making a slightly
stronger point than even Crush generously allows, and that is the historical
one I mentioned earlier: rebuilding an army was much easier in those times
than now (the weapons were simpler), and to have long-term security against
a defeated enemy you had to somehow remove their ability to rebuild. This
meant either mass slaughter or forced relocation and/or slavery. It can be
argued that slavery at that time was the more humane option.