(urth) Behaviorism (footnote to a side note)

Iorwerth Thomas iorweththomas at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 3 04:28:52 PST 2005

>From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>
>
>Behaviorism[1] seems to-me a legitimate and scientific position.
>
>Behaviorism[2] seems to-me to have been concocted as a parody
>of behaviorism[1].
>
>However, some extreme behaviorists[1] often act and speak as if
>they actually believed in behaviorism[2].

Hmm, I think (going by conversations with a psychologist flatmate) that [1]
is historically prior to [2]... That may be because one gets so used to a
stance taken for the sake of scientific method that one starts to take it as
reality (add in logical postivism, and [1] pretty much becomes equivalent to
[2], since the only things we can talk about are scientifically provable
things, if you're a logical positivist).   Which do you class Skinner as?

I keep coming across articles in the New Scientist that seem to be
attempting to argue from [1] to [2].  That depresses me.

Iorwerth