(urth) 5HC : Skinner, Turing (fwd)

James Wynn thewynns at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 14 18:26:49 PST 2005

>We cannot desire to be good, virtous people, with all the concomitant
>restrictions that imposes?

Sure we can -- Jesus said we were "blessed" if we did -- but that desire
strikes me as quite different from the desires to eat "whatever I like"
(note that that idiom wasn't picked out the air) or otherwise "do what comes
naturally". It is not fun. It does not feel good in the same way. It is not
the pursuit of happiness by any direct route (who said happiness cannot be
caught by those who pursue it?).  The desire to be good is of a _higher
order_. I do not think it is reasonable to toss it in the bin with those
desires I have as "a brute beast", as the Apostle Paul put it.

~ Crush