(urth) 5HC : Skinner, Turing (fwd)

James Wynn thewynns at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 7 06:55:19 PST 2005

>>I am not sure where Hume's fork comes into play here. The fork, as I
>>understand it, isn't about determinism or randomness.
>>
>Curses.  My memory is as bad as ever.  I'm sure I have seen it called that
>somewhere.  But you're probably right.  It is an argument I've seen
>attributed to Hume, though.

Hmmm...seems like a pretty cynical philosophy. It works for all the choices
people never have to make and begins to teeter when we consider all the ones
they do. How does it explain why people cheat on their spouses? How does it
explain why they don't? How does it explain heroism and cowardice?
Generosity and greed? Honesty and duplicity? How about twelve-step programs?
How does it explain listening to free-form jazz?

~ Crush