(urth) 5HC : Skinner, Turing (fwd)

Chris rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 4 18:54:15 PST 2005

I am not sure where Hume's fork comes into play here. The fork, as I
understand it, isn't about determinism or randomness. It's a division of
types of statements as either analytic (strict products of definitions and
logical operations) or synthetic (products of empirical observation,
statements about the world). Some people think this distinction is more
important than others; Quine, for example, argued that there was really no
such thing as an analytic statement in (natural) language.

As far as determinism, randomness, and evolution go: if you take an ideal
coin with zero thickness (so that it can't land on an edge), is it a
determined system (because there are a fixed set of ways it could possibly
come down: heads or tails) or is it random (because on any given toss it
could come down either way)? The answer to the question is "yes". As a poor
pseudo-evolutionary example, let's use the game of chess (pre-computer). If
you take a set of players, then a guy who always starts with the Queen's
Gambit will do more poorly than one who chooses from a range of similarly
decent openings, because his opponent will key in on the Queen's Gambit when
preparing for the game. The second person does choose their opening
randomly, but not just any random opening move will do - the random
selection is made from a set of viable choices, some of which may be
slightly worse than others but gain a little something back by way of
unexpectedness. Does chess, then, select for randomness or not?

re: the nuclear example, it is not so much a matter of randomness that is
selected for, but it does show that sometimes non-prudential
strategies/traits *are* selected for. That is, prudential in the sense of
immediate gain. Nuclear weapons fail to act as a deterrent if your opponent
knows that you won't use them against your own best interest. Similarly and
more to the point with a (normal) bee's sting.