(urth) 5HC : Chinese boxes or tea chests?

Jim Raylor rjraylor at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 1 07:47:12 PST 2005

Searle's argument was that the guy in the room who
manipulated the symbols had no real knowledge of the
Chinese language, just the rules for manipulating the
symbols.
It could be argued that all language users 'merely'
know how to manipulate the symbols without a full
awareness of their meanings.
I think this when I use words like 'Notwithstanding'
and 'Nevertheless'.
I sometimes wonder if interpreters at the UN (for
example) pay any heed to the meaning of the messages
they translate, beyond what is required to translate
the words.
For example an eccentric translator could perversely
translate a book by cutting it into individual
sentences, translating each one in random order and
then reassembling them in the original order.

I seem to recall a program which regularly fooled
people into thinking it was a client-centred
psychotherapist.

How do you feel about a program which regularly fooled
people into thinking it was a client-centred psychotherapist?

=====
http://prisoner143.50megs.com/

I am not a number I am a free person!