(urth) TWK: 7 world cosmology

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Sat Dec 10 12:56:51 PST 2005

Crush wrote:
>On the other hand, before humans in Mythgarthr were "raised" from animals,
>they presumably did not worship anything at all. So now they worship the
>Overcyns. When they are further "raised" to Skai, they will worship Parka
>and Michael, and when they are further "raised" they will worship The Most
>High God. Disiri was also "raised" from gathered detritus.

I took the bit about humans being "raised" up from animals as just a nod to
Darwin.

As for this upward evolution of humans and Aelf ever nearer to the High God
that you propose, it's just not in the book, and I see no indication that
it's even theoretically possible according to the internal logic of the
cosmology. There are only two instances in the story where an individual is
raised up to the next level, Disiri and Able. Disiri's lot is unique among
the Aelf, as I said before. Able's lot may not be unique among humans, but
it is certainly exceptional. He was one of the "chosen slain", picked for
his fighting abilities to sit at the Valfather's table and wait for
Ragnarok. The average human in Mythgarthr is *never* going to get to Skai,
dead or alive.

-Roy