(urth) Osterlings

don doggett kingwukong at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 9 20:04:58 PST 2005

--- Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Uh, no. The Osterlings are described in the list of
> names in TK as
> "People who eat other people to become more human."
> This is
> indeed inhumu-like. This is part of a larger pattern
> in Wolfe of
> devouring someone to become him/her, which I presume
> to be
> a series of variations upon and especially
> perversions of the
> Eucharist.
>
> --Dan'l

I agree. The Osterlings are analogs of the inhumi and,
farther back, of the Ascians in the NS books who seek
to devour the commonwealth. This is what fascinates me
about WK. I can see the Hierodules and the Neighbors
in the Overcyns. Severian in Able. Ymar in Arthur.
Erebus and Abaia in the Giants. I don't know if it's a
skeleton key, but GW certainly has his obsessions.

Don