(urth) TWK: The Aelf dilemma

transentient transentient at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 20:18:56 PST 2005

On Dec 6 2005, at 10:44 PM, James Wynn wrote:

>> Also, what are the implications of the "up-giving" of blood? It is
>> clear that, for a human, the blood of an Aelf has terrific healing
>> properties. But both Baki and Uri were so eager to have Able drink
>> from them that it must confer some desirable benefit to the Aelf as
>> well. My guess was that it served to bind the human to them somehow,
>> but I don't think I saw any clear evidence that Able was compelled to
>> do anything for Baki.
>
> This seemed pretty obvious to me. It was a sacrifice. All
> worshippers desire
> to have their sacrifices accepted by their gods. What is the
> benefit to
> humans to chop up an ox and burn it on an altar?

Well, that makes some sense. Though humans only do this if there is a
living covenant with their gods. Uri and Baki were Garceg's, so they
had rejected humanity as their gods. So it seems curious to me.

Also, they didn't seem to treat the blood-gift as a holy thing. They
seemed downright lusty and eager to have Able and Toug drink from
them. Now, maybe lusty is just how the hot-blooded salamanders were,
but I kind of feel undersatisfied by your answer. I feel that the
Aelfs must have been after some kind of interpersonal alchemy.