(urth) Travelin' Jahlee

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Tue Aug 16 06:01:21 PDT 2005

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 00:59:42 -0700 I wrote:

>4. Inhumi cross from Blue to Green at conjunction. Now I don't
>recall anything explicitly saying it was conjunction-time when
>Jahlee attacked Sinew, but assume so for testing: ie, Blue year 4.

Actually, it looks like that's where this doesn't work. When Krait
is dying on Green, and tells Horn the Big Secret, Horn says he
understands what had happened "almost twenty years ago" (IGJ p82).
Those have to be Blue years, I think. This scene almost certainly
takes place in about the 21st (or at most, 22nd) year since Horn
landed. Blue year 2 looks like the latest for Jahlee's attack;
"almost twenty" has to imply "more than 19", IMO.

As added support for an early date: Silkhorn's vision of the
attack, near the beginning of RTTW, displays none of the stormy
weather associated with conjunction; and other comments make it
almost certain that they are coming up to just their second winter
on Blue.

It looks like Jahlee is their on Lizard before conjunction, and in
any case at much too young an age to have flown there.

>6. Four Blue years is around 5 Green years. If inhumi spawn and
>mature very quickly (like frogs?), this may give just enough time
>for Jahlee's parent to take the blood of one of Auk's party on
>green, and for Jahlee to spend "years" getting strong enough to
>make the crossing. Is there anything in the story Fava tells at
>the
>beginning of IGJ which might give more of a clue about how long it

>takes inhumi to mature?

Reading Fava's story, I get the impression that inhumi do mature
quickly, in the sense that an inhuma could mimic a "little girl"
not long after birth.