(urth) Drunken Jahlee

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Sun Aug 7 08:59:18 PDT 2005

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 23:58:26 -0700 "Roy C. Lackey"
<rclackey at stic.net> wrote:
<Interesting things about Jahlee and Chenille, snipped>

What were Jahlee's origins? She bites baby Sinew pretty soon after
the first colonists arrive on Blue. She tells of her childhood
before then, striving to become strong enough to leave Green.

I don't think that "wild" inhumi would have that striving to go to
Blue; Jahlee was surely sentient at the time. In my opinion, inhumi
only get to be sentient if they are born to a human-blood-drinking
parent. So my conclusion is that at least one of Jahlee's parents
drank someone's blood.

If this happened on Green, the timing is very tight. The parent
needs to drink the blood of some human, give birth to Jahlee, and
Jahlee needs to build up her strength, fly to Blue and find Sinew,
all in the time between the first humans leaving the Whorl and
Sinew reaching some age which leaves him still an infant. It
wouldn't be very surprising to find that the victim was Chenille,
one of the first batch of colonists.

(If the blood-drinking didn't happen on Green, it must have
happened on the Whorl, and the parent must have been one of the
inhumi the Neighbors placed there. Further, the Neighbors must have
brought the parent back to Green. Why they would do that, I don't
know.)