(urth) Whom Does Wolfe Read?

Richard Payton rlpayton at mailshack.com
Fri Apr 15 16:28:04 PDT 2005

> What other authors has Wolfe praised or indicated that he enjoys?

Borges, certainly. Also, from a 1986 interview with Larry McCaffery:

LM: Who are some of the contemporary writers you most admire?

GW: Among SF writers I'd include Algis Budrys, Joanna Russ, Ursula Le Guin,
Damon Knight, Kate Wilhelm, Michael Bishop, Brian Aldiss, Nancy Kress,
Michael Moorcock. Among non-SF writers I most enjoy are Nabokov (Pale Fire
is a truly amazing book) and Borges. Of course . . . Lovecraft (who is
usually regarded as a SF writer, but to me he's the real successor -- if
that's possible -- to Poe's line of horror.)