(urth) Doomed multitudes

Chris rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 8 16:25:11 PDT 2005

Measuring by worlds is at best one step removed from what you're really
trying to get at. There are hidden premises required which can at best be
contingently true, if that. For one thing, to make "worlds" be the limiting
factor it would require that humans find and eventually fill to capacity all
available worlds. For another thing, why couldn't the planet be
"rehabilitated" after the ice future comes to pass and repopulated by human
cultures that left earlier? All they need is enough science to whip
themselves up a white fountain.

This perspective perhaps treats all humans as equal, but just in the sense
of being equally valueless.  No number of presently existing human beings,
no matter how large, is capable of outweighing infinite "potential" future
generations. Actual human beings, in this view, can count for nothing.

On another note, I think that to some extent we are not thinking of Urth as
just a planet like any other. Through the framing device of the play, we are
at some level being led to treat Urth as a sort of microcosm. Its death and
rebirth are in some way treated as the death and rebirth of *everything*.
I'm not sure if this sort of allegory should be attributed to Wolfe, or if
it would be better to attribute it to Severian.