(urth) TEOTNS

Andrew Kertesz andrew.kertesz at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 23:48:57 PDT 2005

maru <marudubshinki at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sev, at the begining, tosses his Book of the New Sun (our BOTNS as well)
> toward a 'new universe', when the ship is apparently floating on the stream
> betwixt Briah and Yesod.  Is that the explanation for the 'translator's
> notes'
> in our BOTNS?  Cause they always confused me otherwise.

That was my understanding of it. I don't know whether Wolfe was
operating under the conceit that he was the one who found the book
(like Eco did in the opening of  _The Name of the Rose_) but it'd be
neat if he was.

> Another thing: It seems clear to me, from what Apheta says about how there
> were two possibilites for Urth/Ushas (another thing: Is there a special
> significance
> to that name? I do not recognize it at all.), with each having a certain
> possibility/
> chance-of-coming-into-being,
> but each nevertheless reachs back into the fixed past whether through
> Sev's premature
> access to New Sun powers, or Master Ash.  So, in 4-d space, each future
> exists.  We know
> further that the ship can navigate not just in 3-d, nor in universe-d,
> but it also moves about
> in time, which suggests that it should 'land' in multiple future
> universes.  But, as far as I can
> tell, it never does. Why not? or what did I miss?

My understanding was that the ship can only move backwards through
time. I understood it as this - when the ship accelerates beyond light
speed, the effect of relativity means that it incurs a time "debt",
and thus it can arrive at its destination before it has left its point
of origin.

So, does Yesod exist separate to Briah's time-continum, or did Sev.
arrive there before he left Urth?