(urth) SS Matters Revisited

studio at studiobl.com studio at studiobl.com
Thu Apr 21 09:11:51 PDT 2005

Re-Posted, with some additions (including supporting quotes):

I am just finishing a third(?) reading of RTTW.  I felt that I was
beginning to get some
inklings of new insight, and have resolved to re-read the entire BOTN,
making marginal
notes.

I have a few thoughts and questions, though.

Has anyone worked out a timeline of events.  I found that this time, I
was able to keep
track of the different time sequences better than previously, but on
beginning to reread
the first book, I started becoming confused just where SilkHorn's time
in Gaon fit into
the timeline.

Why is Seawrack missing a limb?  At one point, I thought Babbie had
bitten it off,
resulting in some kind of psyche transference, but I'm not so sure of
this now.  The Mother seems pretty powerful--if Seawrack is supposed to
attract at least in part by physical beauty, why wouldn't the Mother
completely replace her arm, rather than just cauterize it?  I tend to
wonder if Seawrack's arm is missing for some specific
reason...creatures with extra limbs, Seawrack with a missing limb...I
can't figure it out..

Does Seawrack's ability to trigger uncontrollable rutting behavior have
any thing to do
with inter-species breeding experiments?

What is the encrusted thing that climbs aboard Horn's boat?

[OBW, Ch6 'Seawrack': "Something climbed into our sloop last night that
was neither a
beast nor a man, and was not a thing of the sea nor a thing of the
land, nor even a thing
of the air like the inhumi...In appearance it was like a man of many
arms and legs, long
dead and covered over with crabs and little shellfish and other
things...I think it feared
the storm as much or more than we."]

I thought the broken dome on the island had most likely been a
greenhouse for genetic
experiments.  Possibly human/plant hybrids resulting in the Neighbors.
--The Neighbors
would then be humans transformed to meet new environmental stresses.
Why then, would similar domes be at the bottom of the sea, as Seawrack
mentions?

[OBW, Ch8 'The End': '"I know of places in the sea where there are
walls like those,"
Seawrack told me.  Her voice was hushed. "'Underwater' is what you
say."']

Is Horn made part Neighbor on the island?  Or just what the heck
happens in the pit?

--It does sound as if he is killed in the fall, and somehow restored to
life by one or
more Neighbor.  I wonder if Horn's spirit isn't temporarily 'stored' in
Babbie, while the
repairs (or whatever) are made.  When Horn's spirit is being
transferred to Silk's body
(OBW Ch 16) there is some understandable confusion about who is who and
where, including some confusion between the identities of Silk/Horn and
Babbie.

If the Neighbors allowed the Imhumi to became part human in order to
compare the result
with the result of Inhumi infused with Neighbor blood, where are the
Neighbor/Inhumi?

[RttW, Ch11 'My Trial': (Horn is speaking) 'That is what the Neighbors
did. Knowing what their own inhumi were like, they gave us ours so they
might compare the two.']

Why does Horn's son see a Neighbor sitting on a "tree branch" when he
looks through Horn's ring?

[RttW, Ch17 'He Took Me With Him': (Hide writes) 'I held it to my
eye...I noticed the limb of a tree floating upright to starboard.  The
leaves were still silver and green, and the limb was so big it looked
like a whole tree even though I would think there must have been a
trunk floating the regular way since a floating tree does not stick up
like that. There was somebody sitting in one of the branches, and it
was one of the Vanished People.']

If the Vanished People were dryads, why wouldn't the ring allow you to
see a VP in a regular tree?  Why is the tree also hidden, and why is it
sticking up out of the ocean?

I think much of this fits together as a breeding or hybridization
program.  The three
races (Neighbors, Humans and Inhumi) are brought together to create
hybrids that are
desirable somehow to someone.  This is accomplished, in part by
bringing the colonists
from the Whorl to Blue and Green.  The Whorl is to be sent away with a
cargo of pure human stock, presumably with the idea to repeat the
hybridization in another 600 years or so. Possibly this is why the
Neighbors have 'gone away' --to preserve remaining pure stock for
future hybridization.

Have the Neighbors really gone anywhere if you can find one just by
peeping through one of their rings?  What is that damn ring anyway?  It
seemed like Horn left it on Green when he was placed into Silk's body.
Then he got a different ring that seem to turn, over time, into the
original ring.

Is one of the three races the method of hybridization, rather than a
base stock?  Possibly
the Inhumi?

[An interesting quote from OBW, Ch5 'The Thing on the Green Plain':
(Horn writes) 'If the inhumas' eggs hatched in our climate, would not
our human kind become extinct? What tricks Nature plays! If they are
natural creatures at all.
	But they surely are.  Natural creatures native to Green.  Why would
the Neighbors create something so malign?']

If the gods have hidden in animals, is Echidna in Babbie?  Is someone
in Oreb?  Is Oreb
even the original Oreb?  Could Scylla be in Oreb for some reason?  I'm
not sure why I
think this last, I seem to remember some connection between the two,
possibly from the
Long Sun Books.  A lot of what happened around Lake Limna seemed fishy
to me.  I think
there is a lot of hints in that portion of the book that I couldn't
quite get.

[Regarding the gods hiding in animals, RttW, Ch16 'Hari Mau': (the
Whorl crew surgeon M'to is talking to SilkHorn after the operation to
transplant one of SilkHorn's eyes into Pig)
'"...You know about the animals?"
	"What animals?"
	"Great Passilk is supposed to be mad at his wife and half his
sprats...people say they've turned themselves into animals to get away
from him."]

Anything about the ocean-dwelling giants confuses me.  I still don't
quite get it about
Abaia and whatnot.  Was he just an alien who was scheming to take over
Urth?  Where does the Mother (in Blue's ocean) fit into the picture?
She seems to be less malign than Abaia and his wives.  For one thing,
the Mother seems to be involved in helping Mucor survive.  Either
Seawrack or the Mother are probably the ones chasing fish up onto the
rock for Mucor to eat.

I wonder if Mucor is able to assist with the transference of the
psyches of others--kind of
like a human Sacred Window.  If she could appear to the blind Pig, she
may have offered to release the trapped PasSilk.  She may also have
been removing some rider from Babbie when Horn returned to Maytera's
island with her eye.  ...either Echidna, some part of Echidna, or even
part of herself...a sort of recording mechanism by which Mucor could
plant part of herself, then retrieve it later and access its memory.

In Rttw, Ch1 'The Bloodstained Men', Hide tells Horn about a dream.
Hide has dreamed, among other things, that he hides under a
multi-legged couch and discovers that a girl is already hiding there.
Hiding under a multi-legged thing sounds like hiding in spirit inside a
hus, but who is the girl?  Hide never says.

I don't doubt that some of these questions have been answered
before...searching the Urth archives can be kind of frustrating,
though--lots of slogging through barely related
material that results from searching a keyword.

Brian Lovely

Studio bl
http://www.studiobl.com