(urth) OT: watchmen on trial

Chris rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 10 01:20:39 PDT 2005

I generally agree with Crush that we have somewhat overdiscussed the
Watchmen, but I dug up something interesting from the archives so I thought
I'd revisit the topic one more time. It appears that there have been
repeated discussions of this over the years on the list, and that the
comparison of Severian and Ozymandias is almost comulsory. Some links below.

For what it's worth, while I am not going to argue that there's a wrong or
right answer on this, the intuitions of *almost* everyone who reads Watchmen
is that Ozymandias is a villain, and that his "answer" is not seriously
endorsed by Moore. So I do not think that such a reading is really out of
line, I think it's pretty solidly there; perhaps if anything Crush is
reading a little bit more into certain scenes (and a little less into
others) than most.

Now, back to the old days... from a batch in 1999:

Mantis: http://www.urth.net/urth/archives/v0028/0118.shtml
John Bishop: http://www.urth.net/urth/archives/v0028/0113.shtml
Tony Ellis: http://www.urth.net/urth/archives/v0028/0116.shtml
Jim Henley: http://www.urth.net/urth/archives/v0028/0114.shtml