(urth) All is Shadow and dust

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Thu Apr 7 23:53:44 PDT 2005

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, maru wrote:

> Chris wrote:
>
>> To summarize before trying to answer, what I take it you're asking is
>> (shifting the focus from Severian to the Hieros, since on this view
>> Severian is just a tool of the Hieros) whether the Hieros, as higher
>> beings, are above judgment with regard to their plans for Urth. (Although
>> to be honest I'm not sure that the Hieros plan for things to be this way,
>> or if they simply accept it as an inevitability and willingly play their
>> roles).
>>
>> Following Aquinas, God is beyond human judgment and the Hieros could be
>> themselves just tools of God, or else beings who operate, like God, in a
>> sphere where our judgments are not qualified to reach. Theologically
>> speaking once you've taken this first move, of allowing that Sev is really
>> a tool of a higher power with no choice in the matter, you've mooted the
>> whole question before you begin; this way of looking at Sev is not a
>> perspective which allows us to *ask* ethical questions in the first place.

> ... Personally, I see little of the normative claim in UOTNS-
> things *are* explained and justified, if not well or completely, and the Hs
> do not act utterly superior; they go so far as to repeatedly test Autarchs
> and get some semblance of permission from Urthians (the battle), so they
> definitely don't believe in the normative claim, and if the Hs don't accept
> it, who could have the right? The Increate? But the Increate never
> intervenes.

In _Soldier_, Short Sun and Wizard-Knight, Wolfe spends a bit of time on
judgement by humans of gods.  The Giants-proper (not the little ones ;))
are of Skai, and as such should be respected, but not admired or
worshipped; Loki is more ambiguous.  And on multiple occasions, we hear
the argument about demons taking over the role of God becoming
indistinguishable from the real thing (cf _The Day after Judgement_). And
the real thing (righteous authority deriving ultimately from the Increate)
is recognizable, presumably using ethical criteria.

After saying that, Wolfe's worlds are all high mortality settings: not a
lot of happy immortal uploads here ;).  To a medieval Christian viewpoint,
and perhaps to the Hieros, death and suffering are ubiquitous, *mysterious*,
necessary waystations on the infinite journey.  The offering up of
suffering to the Increate comment by Apheta comes right out of tradition.

David Duffy.