(urth) RE: Doomed multitudes

maru marudubshinki at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 19:17:44 PDT 2005

Chris wrote:

> Maru said:
>
>> No, it says that life will go on for a little while, and then they
>> will all die, forever.
>

> This point has already been discussed a few times in this thread, and
> what you seem to be implying here seems to be ignoring that.
>
> Also, that sentence is... well, just look at it.

Well c'mon. That's pratically a direct quote, which I didn't bring in,
mind you. Someone else brought up
the UOTNS quote to the effect that 'they will live a long time, then die
forever', about Urth's choices.
(Not the worlds of man, if that's what you thought I was referring to.
The H's cannot do it for all the worlds
but only Urth- or so we think.)

>>> Because any attempt to predict which future will ultimately colonise
>>> the
>>> most worlds is pointless speculation. The Green Men may eventually
>>

>> May, may may... (How could the Frozen Urthers build any Dyson rings?
>

>> If we cannot be sure of anything, let us do nothing!
>

> If I am not misunderstanding things here, it sounds like you are
> battering a straw man here. I don't think he was suggesting not making
> any choices at all. What he was suggesting was that evaluating "future
> generations" was not a sound basis for making that choice.
>
> And that's arguable. Just not on the terms you're presenting here.

But if you trying to evaluate on basis of human happiness, you must take
into consideration future generations, to not do
so vastly magnifies your current generations rightful share of the pie.

~Maru