(urth) the Epitome

Andrew Kertesz andrew.kertesz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 00:01:51 PDT 2005

> If the H's had their own agenda -- regardless of what that agenda may have
> been -- and were operating without the blessing of the Increate, then they
> lack the _moral authority_ to pass judgement on mankind. It's that simple.
> Without moral authority, the H's are just cosmic cowboys, hypocrites guilty
> of precisely the same sin for which mankind had been condemned . They can be
> neither "compassionate" nor "just", as Wolfe says of them.

In Melito's story, the angel admits that it can only guesses the will
of the Increate - both the cock and the angel are inifitely far from
Him.

With that in mind, isn't it possible to be wise and just, and also to
work against the will of the Increate?

After all, we know that the Heirogrammates and Humans exchange places
- in modifying the humans, the H's condemn themselves. Why shouldn't
the destruction of Urth be part of the cycle?

Anyways, I think that the BotNS has more relevance as a story of
personal redemption + discovery, not one of biblical floods and
sourges.