(urth) Re: urth-urth.net Digest, Vol 7, Issue 24

Chris rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 2 23:35:07 PST 2005

Kieran said:
>Well, as a Catholic and a reader of Wolfe I have found this thread to be
>rather odd.   Your point seems to be that any change in the future of Urth
>that causes the death of anyone is immoral.   The supposition is that the
>"Frozen Urth" future is the "true future" and that "Reborn Urth" is some
>choice that Severian makes leading to the deaths of millions.

By my reckoning neither is the "true future"; in reality we have no such
conveniences to fall back on. If that's the case then you are left with the
immediate effect of your actions on people who already exist. The effect, in
this case, is devastating.

>I always thought that the inhabitants of Urth got to choose their future -
>that was the point of the battle in UotNS.   Those who opposed the New Sun
>fought those who favored it.  The New Sun won.

This sounds just a bit too much like "might makes right". But the trial is
an interesting issue to explore in its own right. Someone noted that at the
time they held the trial, at least some involved already knew that Severian
was the one who was going to bring the New Sun. What *was* the point of the
trial? Well, if I remember correctly, for one thing, it somehow sealed the
*inevitable* truth of the New Sun future.

This brings up something odd. I don't bring this up as a rhetorical point
but as a serious question. Why would the Hierogrammates set up such a
demanding test for an outcome which was actually *desirable*? (Assuming the
outcome was, in fact, desirable). Why not, instead, offer it to the first
Autarch that came along - or just do it on their own accord? The idea that
they would only put it in motion when it had reached the point of
inevitability makes the New Sun sound as if it were an undesirable outcome
for them. Or at least, not an unqualified good.

>For me the analogy is a poisoned bog that has some critters eking out some
>existence in it.  You might choose to clean it up, but in doing so you
>wreak havoc on those already there, or who are adapted to the poisons.   So
>you should just leave it a toxic dump.

Or move the critters to new environs.

>Let's say Severian had to go to Briah to *stop* the arrival of the White
>Fountain and keep the Urth on its current path of freezing in the dark.
>Are you arguing that that would be a better choice?

Are you arguing that these are the only two possible choices?

Civet