(urth) Re: Crush on trial

Tony Ellis tonyellis69 at btopenworld.com
Sat Apr 2 06:30:37 PST 2005

Maru said, quoting me:

>>Severian’s murder of millions can’t be said to preserve any
>>more unborn generations than Ozymandias’ murder of thousands.
>

>The essential question is whether the Urth being able to continue
>supporting life will probably
>produce more human life than the cost of making it so capable. With an
>open-ended universe, that
>can almost be guaranteed.

In the post you're quoting from, the question was whether the mere
preservation of future generations could be used to justify Severian's
mass-murder *at all*. To which the answer is still "No".

In the wider context, I don't see why the ability of the Urth to
produce, or not to produce, a certain number of humans, should be the
'essential' question.

'Why did so many innocents have to be sacrificed in the first place?'
seems a more important question to me.