(urth) The assassin

Chris rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 22 01:09:30 PDT 2004

I especially like the last two paragraphs of this post - it also tends to
reinforce the association of Valeria with old Urth, in that it duplicates
the "severe" necessity of the old order to perish in the creation of the
new.

I do think that the assassin isn't so easily attributable to Severian's
imagination as all that, though I can see the argument for it. An assassin,
even far from the throne room, could have very good reasons for having a
weapon drawn. The House Absolute is a dangerous place, what with white
wolves roaming and such. Then again I see the Miles incident as very open to
question as well.