(urth) Finally... UOTNS has arrived

James Wynn thewynns at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 30 11:34:34 PDT 2004

>>Jonathon McKitrick <jcm at FreeBSD-uk.eu.org> wrote:
>>Really?  Hmm.  That could be interesting.  I really can't see how BOTNS
>>could stand on its own.  There is just so much left unexplained.

>Christopher Culver:
>Wolfe originally intended to let the story stand on its own in those
>four books. The only reason he wrote UotNS is because of pressure by
>his editor.

Which doesn't mean that stopping the story with "Citadel of the Autarch"
would have been the best plan. I didn't get idea from Wolfe that his editors
wanted an extra novel only to sell more books. They seem to think more
elaboration was needed. I agree.

I realize some people think all the extra "splainin'" in UotNS is an
imposition on the mystery and elegance of the original novel. I'm not in
that camp.

~ Crush