(urth) Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell: It's not really Lupine, but ...

William Ansley wansley at warwick.net
Mon Oct 4 21:12:33 PDT 2004

Even though it won't satisfy anyone who primarily reads Wolfe for the
complexity and obscurity of his books, I still recommend _Jonathan
Strange and Mr. Norrell_ by Susanna Clarke to the members of this
list. I certainly think this book will appeal to those among you who
enjoy John Crowley, although again, it is quite a different reading
experience.

JS & Mr. N is a charmingly and quite well-written book about an
alternative England, set in the early 19th century and written in the
voice of an author of the period. Although the book is long (782
pages in hardcover) and occasionally seemed to be proceeding at too
deliberate a pace, having finished it I cannot say that I begrudge
Ms. Clarke a single page. I must add that Susanna Clarke is
particularly sound on fairies.
--

William Ansley