(urth) Re: Sulpicius

Chris rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 4 22:56:24 PDT 2004

Well, a couple things. The first is the tomb that Severian plays in as a
child, which he later finds out is his own (from one of his many lives as
the Conciliator in and out of time). I believe that somewhere it's stated
that this is the tomb of an autarch. Secondly, I think Severian himself
makes the conjecture that he's been autarch more than once, in UotNS, though
I don't have a copy to go looking.

Not to be confused with whoever's theory it was that Ymar was actually
Severian, which I never really bought into (or the theory that he was
Severian's clone).

The only place that the passing from Citadel you're referring to comes into
play is that I think that perhaps Severian comes up with the *idea* of there
having been another Severian from the fact that he had these echoed
memories, and had no way at hand to explain them otherwise.