(urth) OT: The Problem of Susan

Adam Stephanides adamsteph at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 28 20:04:59 PDT 2004

The fantasy anthology FLIGHTS, which contains a novella by Wolfe (at least
according to the editor, though the boundary between a novella and a
novelette has never been clear to me) also contains a short story by Neil
Gaiman, called "The Problem of Susan." In general I'm not keen on Gaiman as
a writer, either of comics (I regard SANDMAN is overrated) or prose, but I
think this story is a good one, though it functions more as a critique of
the Narnia books than as a work of fiction in its own right. As it deals
with issues which I know are of interest to several people on this list, I'm
curious if anyone else has read it; and if so, what did you think about it?

--Adam