(urth) tolkien's successors

Maru marudubshinki at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 30 18:32:33 PST 2004

He was mining Kevin Kelly's book 'Out of Control'. It's a bit
dated, but still well-worth the read.  So he is not completely
originating all this, but his job of integrating and warping it
all is still marvelous.  It is a shame that his Hyperion universe
is so small- aside from the 'Amoiete Helix' it contains his best
short stories (the short story in 'Prayers to broken stones' is
on par with Wolfe, IMHO) and books. None of his other stuff
matches up.
It seems to be a common tragedy to SF that some of its best
authors produce one, and only one, really good work.
Anyone know why?
~Maru
I'd put Wolfe in the above category too. I haven't noticed the
richness of tBotNS in the long sun, short sun, wizard-knight or
cerberus novels at all.