(urth) Re: urth-urth.net Digest, Vol 4, Issue 19

Iorwerth Thomas iorweththomas at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 13 10:16:11 PST 2004

I think I owe Blattid an apology - I should have tracked back and checked
who made the remark I was responding to in the first place... My bad.  Sorry
for any upset caused.

Moving on...  When I first read the BotNS, I was rather struck by the
similarity between the Pancreator/Increate duality and the
'dipolar-opposite' theories of the nature of God in process theology.

A quick explanation:  in process thought, God is thought of as having an
eternal, metaphysically necessary and transcendant component to his nature,
and a temporal, contingent, changing and immanent component (exact
implementations vary with the process thinker: Chales Harsthorne has a
different interpretation from his mentor, A N Whitehead, with most who are
interested in the area following Harsthorne).

A better explanation: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/process-theism/

The similarity is rather superficial (I don't know if Wolfe has heard of
Whitehead et. al., and I doubt he'd approve of some of their more heterodox
beliefs, eg. the rejection of traditional formulations of omnipotence in
favour of divine persuasion) but I wonder if he may be drinking from similar
metaphysical wells...  Or maybe it has more to do with the incorporation of
Hindu categories of thought into the future theology of Urth.

Any thoughts?  (I'm probably talking utter drivel.)

Iorwerth