(urth) Tales of Silk and Horn

James Wynn thewynns at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 13 06:10:43 PST 2004

>So by the time he starts writing the Book of the Short Sun, the Narrator is
>Horn's psyche and Silk's psyche and a Neighbor's soul and by the end of his
>story he ultimately realizes that he is neither most truly Horn nor Silk,
>but the soul inside or, perhaps,  something entirely different from all
>three.

Incidentally - for those might ask "what is the thematic import of this?" -
I say this makes the Narrator simultaneously a "father, son, and (holy)
spirit" although I'll wait for an opportune moment to come around before I
prove that. (No, I don't think Horn is Silk's son)

There is a discussion in "Return To The Whorl" about how a certain god can
be the son of a human and a son of Pas at the same time. I think an
important part of what Wolfe is doing in the "Short Sun" is
rationalizing/apologizing for the mysteries of the Trinity and the
Incarnation

~ Crush