(urth) Re: urth-urth.net Digest, Vol 4, Issue 19

Iorwerth Thomas iorweththomas at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 11 11:32:09 PST 2004

>I'm sure I could find some easily among the nuns a many a parochial school
>(increasingly easily depending on the definition of "Creationist").

On reflection, the same is probably true of many an Anglican Sunday school
teacher...

>I don't
>consider this a put down (although I recognize that many think it is,
>Catholic or not). I know many educated intelligent Creationists of various
>stripes.

A friend of mine was (and is, as far as I'm aware) a Creationist Mormon -
and he was one of the best educated and intelligent people I've met.  I
still think that he's wrong, though :)  (And he was prepared to admit that
the evidence was against him, which is fair enough.)  But there's no logical
link between being a Creationist and being stupid; it may just be difficult
to be one and an evolutionary biologist...

I think that what originally got my goat was the suggestion that attempting
to harmonise one's scientific and religous beliefs was not something that
Protestants did, which is false - it also appeared to iilegitamately
generalise over all the thousands of Protestant groups, which is a bit
risky, since as well as Creationists, these various denominations and
schools of thought include Anglicans (who don't agree on anything [1]) and
liberal Protestant process philosophers (eg. David Ray Griffin), for whom
evolutionary thought is an important part of their theology.

Iorwerth

[1]  This is an empirical observation made by myself, as an Anglican.