(urth) Tales of Silk and Horn

Chris rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 10 15:13:05 PST 2004

As a preliminary note, I've found the posts laying out the specific examples
of Wolfe's thought problems to be interesting, although I disagree with the
project of dropping them into categories as such. I think it would be more
effective, actually, to define an axis or two and then place the specific
examples within the overall framework, which may point out which examples
can most fruitfully be compared (and point out some examples that aren't
really so comparable as they appear). For example, the biological/mechanical
distinction would be one axis. Memory might be another. Etc, etc. To the
cases worth looking at which have already been mentioned I would add another
that was brought up to me by another reader of this list: the case of Dr.
Talos, as a creation of Baldanders.

The main thing I'm going to be concerned with in this post, though, is
taking a look at Silkhorn from various different perspectives, in a format
(inappropriately, perhaps) similar to Kierkegaard's "Attunement" when he
started examining Abraham. I'm going to use James Wynn's terms, "soul" and
"psyche", which I think are appropriate, with the small qualification that
the complex view actually allows two outlooks - one in which there is no
such thing as a "soul", and another in which there is, but the "soul" is
nothing other than the "psyche" itself. Whereas in the simple view there is
always a soul, and it is always distinct from psyche. And on we go...

>From the complex (C) view:
As he lays dying, Horn's psyche is transferred to Silk's body. Silk
effectively ceases to exist and Horn takes his place; he self-identifies as
Horn, has continuity of memory with Horn, and has his inclinations, desires,
and life projects. Bits of Silk's psyche might be considered to linger, in
the form of certain mannerisms which *might* indicate that, on a deeper
level, elements of Silk's psyche remains.
   (C1) Over time, these submerged elements of Silk's psyche begin to play a
larger and larger part and "Horn" slowly starts to become "Silk", until
finally the elements of psyche most distinctly identified with Horn are
almost entirely suppressed [leaving aside the question of whether Horn's
psyche ended up being transferred elsewhere, etc]. In the end this neo-Silk
realizes that he is no longer Horn, and mourns the death of his "former
self".
   (C2) Over time, Horn's attempts to imitate Silk, strengthened by the
remnants of whatever remnant of Silk's inclinations biologically remain
within his body, succeed in the self-transformation he has strived for - he
becomes more and more like Silk, til the point where his psyche resembles
the original Silk more than it does Horn, and he can be said to have
"become" Silk. When he comes to terms with the transformation that has taken
place, this new Silk mourns the death of his former self, which he in a
sense deliberately caused.

Simple view, variant 1 (S1):
The Neighbor transfers Horn's soul and psyche into Silk, and Silk's soul
departs (along with most, but possibly not all, of his psyche). Over time,
Silk's psyche re-asserts itself because it is powerfully attached to the
body Horn inhabits (S1a), or else Horn's imitation of Silk succeeds in
transforming his psyche to be much like Silk's (S1b), as above. At this
point Horn becomes overwhelmed, not only by his changed psyche but also by
the insistence of everyone else, and despite his continuing inner conviction
that he is Horn, finally becomes confused enough about his own identity that
he accepts identification as Silk. "In a way" he can be said to have become
Silk, in the same way that a demon imitating a god can be said to have
become that god, but he is still, irreducibly, Horn - albeit a Horn that has
"lost himself".

Simple view, variant 2 (S2):
The Neighbor transfers Horn's soul and psyche into Silk, but Silk's soul and
psyche both remain as well. Silk's soul and psyche do not assert themselves
at first, because they were on the brink of complete withdrawal and suicide
when Horn arrived. Over time they recover, and are perhaps strengthened by
Horn's attempt to imitate Silk. They reassert their claim on the body, which
is more strongly tied to Silk than it is to Horn, and perhaps their psyches
blend to an extent leaving a psyche which is a combination of Silk and
Horn's imitation of Silk. Horn's soul eventually departs for parts unknown.
When Silk realizes that Horn is gone for good, he mourns his friend.

Simple view, variant 3 (S3):
The Neighbor transfers Horn's psyche, but not his soul (which is moving to
the great beyond) into Silk's body. Silk's soul remains present, but his
psyche, which was despairing, is displaced by Horn's, which "takes care of
him" and keeps him alive and moving. It is Silk the whole time, but a Silk
who looks through the eyes and memories of Horn, and who self-identifies as
Horn, while his original psyche deals with its grief. Silk's psyche
gradually recovers and reasserts himself, but it takes additional time for
Silk, who has gotten into the habit of self-identifying as Horn, to come to
the realization of who he is and to face the pain that comes along with that
realization.

One or none of these stories may be the one Wolfe was trying to tell; I
think they all have some merit and would make a good story in their own
right. The question I am interested in is, given the rest of the novels, are
any of these stories particularly incompatible with Wolfe's overall theme,
and if so what makes them so? Or alternately, do any of the above Silkhorns
fail to live up to the Silkhorn in BotSS, and if so, can we identify what it
is that they lack?