(urth) Generic Considerations

Nathan Spears spearofsolomon at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 9 10:15:35 PST 2004

> Agreed. One of the reasons Stephen R. Donaldson is loved and
> loathed by different readers is that he brought the true novelistic
> tradition into the "genre" of High Fantasy, and many readers didn't
> want that.

The reason I loathe Donaldson is because I felt like I was going to be sick fifty
pages into the first book in the gap series.  I rarely stop reading a book, because
I don't think it's fair to form an opinion of a work without being fully aware of
it, but I put that book down pretty quickly.  I felt like I was reading loathsome
fan fiction, and I wouldn't really want to read anything that he wrote.

Also the Gap book titles are sooooo bad.