(urth) AI souls

Chris rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 8 12:58:01 PST 2004

Another statement of the obvious: the spirit/breath connection is
cross-cultural, definitely not strictly Hebrew (though it is certainly
important there). It's there, for example, in the greek - although I don't
think that the communication aspect was originally tied to spirit in this
way in the Greek tradition, though it may have been associated later on. If
I recall correctly Aristotle does sort of place communication in a primitive
"evolutionary" scale of mind, in that supposedly creatures without the
ability to hear lack the ability to learn (and thus cannot proceed past a
certain level of consciousness). One assumes he hadn't met many deaf people,
but perhaps the point he was making there was metaphorical.

I was always struck by Apheta's peculiar non-speaking-speech, and I
suspected that it reflects a general concept in some mystical traditions
about the second type of wisdom, apart from that sort of logos that *is* in
a positive sense and that we can speak of. You can vaguely associate it with
Taoism, Zen buddhism, or even stick within the Hebrew or Greek traditions.
In any event I was never really able to tell if this was an essential
thematic element, or whether Wolfe just thought it was a nifty idea.

--
"You must not be soft, but cover yourself up; for you must discover an
intellection abstractional and fraudulent."