(urth) Generic Considerations

Matthew Malthouse matthew.malthouse at ntlworld.com
Fri Dec 10 14:11:08 PST 2004

At 18:15 09/12/2004, Nathan Spears wrote:
>The reason I loathe Donaldson is because I felt like I was going to be
>sick fifty
>pages into the first book in the gap series.  I rarely stop reading a
>book, because
>I don't think it's fair to form an opinion of a work without being fully
>aware of
>it, but I put that book down pretty quickly.  I felt like I was reading
>loathsome
>fan fiction, and I wouldn't really want to read anything that he wrote.

Did you ever pick it up again?  Or tried other of Donaldson's works?

"The Real Story" is a very disturbing book and I think an unfortunate
introduction to the series.  Perhaps it might have been better done
amalgamated into the second volume which at least would have given the
reader some idea of why TRS is so utterly black.

But for all its darkness the redemptions of Morn, Angus and others wouldn't
be possible without that beginning.

I was about to write that "Mordant's Need" (which I happen to have just
re-read) is entirely different.  Well it is, but there is a congruence
between Terisa's sometime vacancy and what brings her out of it and some of
the reactions Morn has.

Matthew