(urth) Generic Considerations

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 10:06:10 PST 2004

Again, just riffing on something Turin said ...

> I don't know if it makes sense to talk about genre in the sense of
> science fiction, fantasy, horror and "literature" etc.

It does, but only if you recognize that "genres" of this sort are not
categories, that is nouns, pigeonholes, but adjectives. Thus one of
my semi-secret vices is Nora Roberts' "Eve Dallas" books, a series of
science fiction - "romance" - police procedural murder mysteries,
all three of which genre labels accurately but insufficiently
_describe_ the "kind" of books these are.

> However, I would categorize most books with scifi/fantasy content,
> romances.

Agreed. One of the reasons Stephen R. Donaldson is loved and
loathed by different readers is that he brought the true novelistic
tradition into the "genre" of High Fantasy, and many readers didn't
want that.

--Dan'l

--
www.livejournal.com/users/sturgeonslawyer