(urth) BotNS in German

Lisa Schaffer-Doggett harlekin at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 6 09:08:55 PST 2004

Not allowing a language to change is the surest way to make it
irrelevant.  That's why all the moaning about the death of the english
language makes me laugh.  IMO it's as vital a language as ever because
it's mutable.  An obsession with words is like loving a dress more than
the woman it adorns.  Fortunately for us, Wolfe loves the woman AND has
exceptional taste in dresses.(this metaphor of course is gender
reversible) As far as German and English, they are closely related in
both vocabulary and in sentence structure, closer than english is to
any romance language.  With a little digging I think a good translation
would be doable.  Where there are latin, greek, and hebrew words, just
use them as is.  The equivalents to obscure english words should be
easily available, (as in the barbican example).  Getting the right feel
might be hard, since German is such a straightforward language, and
Wolfe is anything and everything but.  Then, if it was easy, someone
probably would have done it by now, huh?

Don