(urth) tolkien's successors

Matthew Malthouse matthew.malthouse at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 2 13:24:28 PST 2004

At 02:31 02/12/2004, Crush wrote:
>Surely all fantasy writers today must say -with apologies to Nixon- "We're
>all Tolkienites now".

To my mind the "Like Tolkien" tag is a bad reviewers tag.

There aren't any writers like Tolkien.  Oh, there are some who on their own
merits are just as good or perhaps better if one is prepared to compare
apples and oranges. But no one is doing precisely what Tolkein did and it's
possible that because he did it already no one will.

I don't think it's to be disputed that Tolkien is an irradicable influence
on contemporary writers and to that degree they might all be Tolkienites.

Matthew