(urth) everyone gets one good book

Chris rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 1 11:21:14 PST 2004

The story you attribute to Tolkien is really a synthesis of mythologies,
some elements of which are more straightforward than others. The "entropy"
aspect you're talking about is an echo, at the very least, of the Old
Testament and more generally, the Hebrew myths. Anybody familiar with the
Bible knows that the lifespans get shorter and shorter in succeeding
generations. Fewer people are aware that in the myths, Abraham for example
was absurdly powerful and destroyed an entire army.

I think the themes of broken civilizations and decline are simply inherent
in the raw materials Tolkien is working with, particularly in the
Silmarillion. In order to have a fertile mythology, you have to imagine that
things were once more fabulous and magical than they are now, which leaves
you the necessary problem of explaining why it's not that way now.

I don't agree that Wolfe's story is about finding God in general, although
it may well be impossible for him to not put that into his longer works
somewhere. The themes he returns to over and over are the problems of
identity and problems of memory (usually with the two bound tightly
together). Try Fifth Head of Cerberus for a Wolfe story that has everything
to do with these two issues, little or nothing to do with finding God.

As far as your take on Severian and torture, all I can say is that I don't
see Severian as a Christ-figure, because he doesn't have all the necessary
elements - he lacks certain redemptive dimensions. Without delving too far
into qabbalistic oddities present in the New Sun series (which others here
are more qualified to talk about than I), I would say that an examination of
the concept of "geburah" would help to understand better what Wolfe was
getting at with Severian - geburah is commonly translated as "severity",
though perhaps "necessity" would also be a helpful word.

I do think if you're looking for truly grand scope, it's hard to beat BotNS
and I don't expect he will even try to. But there are a lot of different
kinds of story, and some of his simpler one-shot novels are just outstanding
in their own right. As far as series, I have high hopes for the Soldier
books, if he ever gets the time to finish them.