(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Sat Jun 14 04:14:33 PDT 2008

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 17:53:02 +1000 "Roy C. Lackey"
<rclackey at stic.net> wrote:

[Cogent things about about Juturna, Sev1, Sev2 etc]

Just reiterating & summarising my theory:

Juturna goes back not just to save Sev but to drag him under,
tangled in her hair (which he mistakes for the trailing roots of
the water lillies or whatever they are).

The effect of this is inter alia is to delay his return from the
river and so bring about his meeting with Vodalus. Also, I imagine,
she does stuff to Sev's brain so that he will be be drawn to
Vodalus, and so on (noting that Sev has heard almost nothing about
Vodalus at the time he meets him & that his sudden allegiance is
ahrd to explain otherwise).

This sets up the divergence between Sev1 and Sev2 - as Sev (ie,
Sev2) says, the graveyard scene is what sets everything else in
motion, which is the reason why he starts his narrative with it.

Wihout it, I believe, Sev1 leaves the Guild with Triskele, in
effect acting out Sev2's musing about a Triskele heading north to
the wars with a new master.

SilkHorn's meeting with Sev at the end of SS puts things back on a
Sev1-track. No Sev2, no New Sun, no Juturna going back to interfere